Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and Galaxy SmartTag+ is a tech tracker that can be attached to an item and track using the Samsung smart things app. The Samsung Galaxy SmartTag is compatible with Galaxy mobile devices and tablets using the latest version of the SmartThings app.
Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and Galaxy SmartTag+ was launched this year and come in two color variants black and denim blue and at the time of writing this tracker cost $39.99 USD.
Galaxy SmartTag+ Features
The Galaxy SmartTag+ is more beneficial over the standard version to justify the extra $10 price tag. This Plus version measures 4.6 x 4.6 x 1.1 cm which is slightly higher than the Galaxy SmartTag. As for features, it has both Bluetooth 5.0 LE and UWB whereas the standard version only has Bluetooth 5.0.
UWB is Ultra Wide Bandwidth. This gives a precise location as you get closer to the object. Speaking of which, there is a hole for the lanyard/a thread to tie the Galaxy SmartTag+ to an object like Keys, Backpacks, Bicycles, Wallets, etc. It is made of plastic and has a 220mAh battery inside and IP53 certified.
One more advantage of the SmartTag+ is while using the SmartThings Find app, it enables an AR mode to show the location estimate so that you can track the object that is tied to the Bluetooth tracker more accurately. The signals sent in the process are end-end encrypted and have a Privacy ID for safety.
Apart from this, Samsung has provided a single button on the Galaxy SmartTag+ that can be used to send alerts, do other Smart IoT functions like starting Home lights, TV, Smart Speakers etc.
How to set up Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and Galaxy SmartTag+?
In order to track and search for your SmartTag remotely, you’ll need to connect it to SmartThings. It only takes a matter of minutes, and you are then ready to track your important items.
- First open the SmartThings app, and then press the button on the SmartTag.
- A pop-up will appear once the SmartTag is detected; select Add now.
- If no pop-up appears, tap Add (the plus sign), and then tap Devices. Tap the By brand tab, choose Samsung, and tap SmartTag.
- Select the circle, and then tap Agree.
- Next tap Start, and choose your desired Location and Room for the device.
- Press the button in the center of the SmartTag. The device will make a sound to confirm it is pairing.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection.
- When done, the device will be available in the SmartThings app and will appear in SmartThings Find.
How to locate your Samsung Galaxy SmartTag using SmartThings Find?
If you cannot find the SmartTag, no need to worry as there are several ways to locate it.
All you need is to open the SmartThings app, tap Menu (the three horizontal lines), and then tap All devices. Select your SmartTag, and then select Go to map. If it can be detected, the device’s approximate location will be displayed.
If you are still unable to locate it, then use the following options to find it:
- Search nearby: Use this tab to help you locate the device when you know it’s somewhere nearby. It will let you know if the SmartTag’s signal is weak or strong. The green area will get bigger as you get closer to the devices and as its signal gets stronger.
- Navigate: Use this feature when the device’s location appears on the map, but you are unsure how to get to it. This will bring up the device’s location in Google Maps, so you can navigate to it using GPS.
- Ring: Tap this to make the SmartTag emit a beeping sound. It will continuously ring until you tap Stop. This feature is great if you know the device is close and need a little extra help to find it.
How to remove the Samsung Galaxy Smart Tab from the Smart Things Find?
If you don’t want the SmartTag to be used then you will need to remove it from the SmartThings Find feature. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Open the SmartThings app, and then navigate to and select the SmartThings Find card.
- Tap More options (the three vertical dots), and then tap Show/hide devices.
- Deselect the SmartTag and any other device(s) you don’t want to appear in SmartThings Find, and then tap Save.
- The tag and device(s) will no longer be tracked in SmartThings Find.
Note that the above steps only delete the tag from SmartThings Find.
But if you want to remove the SmartTag from the SmartThings app completely then follow the below given steps:
- Open the app, tap Menu (the three horizontal lines), and then tap All devices.
- Tap More options (the three vertical dots), and then tap Delete.
- Select the red minus sign next to the SmartTag, and then tap Delete to confirm.
How to change the battery for Galaxy SmartTag?
The SmartTag uses a CR2032 battery, which is a small lithium battery shaped like a coin. It’s the same kind of battery that is usually used in wrist watches. This battery as you know is not chargeable.
Depending on your usage and other factors, CR2032 batteries can last about a year, so you won’t have to worry about replacing it for a while.
To view the battery’s level, open the SmartThings app, tap Menu (the three horizontal lines), and then tap All devices. Select your SmartTag; the current battery level will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
If the battery depletes, you can easily change it by following the below given steps
All you need to do is insert the tip of your finger or a flat object (such as a guitar pick or credit card) into the notch on the bottom of the SmartTag and then pull until the tag opens. Now remove the depleted battery and replace it with a new one. Then, snap the covering of the tag back together.
How to reset Galaxy Smart Tag?
If the SmartTag is not working as expected, you can reset the device through the SmartThings app.
What you need to do is open the app, tap Menu (the three horizontal lines), and then tap All devices.
Select the SmartTag, and tap More options (the three vertical dots).
Tap Information, and then tap Reset device.
You can also manually reset the smart tag by removing and reinserting its battery.
Open the SmartTag’s battery cover. To do this, insert the tip of your finger into the notch on the bottom of the SmartTag and then pull until the battery cover comes off. Now remove the battery, and press the button on the center of the SmartTag. While still holding the button down, reinsert the battery.
Note that if the device makes a sound right after inserting the battery, try these steps again.
Hold the button for five seconds, and then release. Then, snap the battery covering of the tag back together. The device should now be reset.
If you are unable to perform the right away or have any issues with the smart tag you can always contact Samsung customer support for help either online or in house at your nearest Samsung outlet.
You can buy Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and Galaxy SmartTag+ from your nearest Samsung store or from Amazon online. (all images source: Samsung)